Trinidad Guardian

Trinidad Guardian

For news direct from the Trinidad Guardian

  1. COP
    4% (88 votes)
    ILP
    26% (573 votes)
    MSJ
    1% (24 votes)
    NJAC
    0% (11 votes)
    PNM
    36% (799 votes)
    UNC
    17% (366 votes)
    None of the above
    8% (174 votes)
    Hmmm...not sure
    3% (74 votes)
    I disagree with the premise of this question.
    5% (103 votes)
    Total votes: 2212
  2. Published: 
    Saturday, June 24, 2017

    In the latest ICC women’s rankings released on Thursday, the 26-year-old Jamaican held a handsome lead in the all-rounders rankings over second placed Ellyse Perry of Australia.

    Taylor was the only West Indies player in the top 10 as Marizanne Kapp of South Africa along with the New Zealand pair of Suzie Bates and Amy Satterthwaite rounded out the top five.

    In the batting rankings, Taylor lay fifth with Aussie Meg Lanning occupying the top spot and Indian stroke-maker Mithali Raj in second.

    Aggressive right-hander Deandra Dottin was installed at number eight but was the only other West Indies player in the top 20.

    Taylor featured at number two in the bowling rankings behind seamer Kapp, with veteran Indian fast bowler Jhulan Goswami, third.

    Off-spinner Anisa Mohammed is the only other Caribbean player in the top 20, in at number seven.

    Taylor has been the most prolific all-round player for West Indies in recent years, scoring 3732 runs from 98 One-Day Interntionals at an average of 44.

    She has taken 114 wickets with her off-spin at an average of 18.

    The World Cup runs from June 24 to July 23 here in England.

    WI captain Stephanie Taylor
  3. Published: 
    Saturday, June 24, 2017

    Chad Rowley made it 16 goals in two matches when he scored seven times as host T&T Under-18 boys water polo team improved to 2-0 courtesy a 16-4 demolition of Jamaica when the 2017 Central American and Caribbean Amateur Swimming Confederation (CCCAN) Swimming Championships continued at the National Aquatic Centre in Balmain, Couva, yesterday.

    Scorer of nine goals in T&T’s 24-8 crushing of Barbados on Thursday’s opening day, Rowley was again the main scorer for T&T with Jason Hackett adding a beaver-trick and two each from Joshua Welsh and Tyrece Joseph while Jean-Luc Hinds added the other for the 2-0 locals. For Jamaica, Cody Jones got three, and Joel Parnell, one.

    However, the T&T Under-18 Boys are second on the table behind today’s opponent, Puerto Rico which followed up their 16-9 defeat of Jamaica by blasting the Barbadians 27-8 also yesterday.

    T&T Under-15 Boys, will need a win today against Bahamas to avoid losing their best-of-five series, 3-0 after the visitors won their second match, 12-7 to add to Thursday’s nail-biting 12-11 win.

    Once again, Gabriel Sastre was the man doing most of the damage for Bahamas with half of his team’s goals while Nicholas Wallace-Whitfield got two, and Gabriel Encinar, Thor Sasso, Damian Gomez and Thomas Iling, the others.

    Ross Gillette led T&T with two goals with the quintet of Nathan Hinds, Everson Latchman, Christian Chin Lee, Yannick Robertson, and Kelvin Caesar also scoring.

    Last night in the Open men competition, T&T men tackled Barbados after losing 17-4 to pre-tournament favourites Cuba while T&T women suffered a second straight loss, 18-10 to Mexico after an 11-7 loss on Thursday to Venezuela. Competition resumes from 1pm today at the same venue until June 28.

  4. Published: 
    Saturday, June 24, 2017

    Breaking his silence for the first time since the controversy erupted eight months ago, the 28-year-old said CWI’s only communication with him was to indicate that his contract had been terminated and to inform him of flight details home.

    He said no CWI official had sought to engage him on the matter and he found this particularly disappointing since in the past his future to West Indies cricket.

    “Even though you saw a tweet on my Twitter account, no one actually asked me if I did that,” Bravo told Massy United Insurance’s Line & Length Network in an exclusive interview set to be aired this weekend.

    “I went to sleep the day after the tweet, woke up at 6:30 am trying to get myself ready to head to Zimbabwe for the Tri-Series an all of a sudden I saw two emails – one from Roland Holder (CWI cricket operations manager) and one from Richard Pybus (former CWI director of cricket) stating that my contract has been terminated and I was being sent home.

    “The other email was from Roland Holder with my flight details but no one actually asked me anything.”

    darren-bravo

    He continued: “I was also given an ultimatum, after being sent home, to take down the tweet by 4 pm and apologise on twitter but at the end of the day no one can prove if Darren Bravo actually went on his Twitter account and tweeted that.

    “There was no due process, there wasn’t anything. No one asked me anything. Up to this day, no one called me and asked me so it has been very disappointing.

    “Yes I want to play cricket for West Indies again but at the end of the day when I step back onto the field, I want to be able to be happy, I want to be able to enjoy my cricket once more and that is probably something I have been lacking for the last year playing for West Indies.”

    The impasse arose last November after Bravo rejected a downgraded central contract from CWI and president Dave Cameron subsequently said in a television interview that the player had not merited an enhanced retainer because of his “declining averages” and “poor performances.”

    Cameron mistakenly inferred that Bravo had previous held a Grade A contract prompting a Twitter rant from the Trinidadian in which he labelled the Jamaican administrator “a big idiot.”

    Barbadian lawyer Donna Symmonds, a member of Bravo’s legal team, said her client’s rights had been breached and said subsequent attempts to negotiate with CWI had ended in frustration.

    Bravo is West Indies’ premier Test batsman, with 3400 runs from 49 Tests at an average of 40, including eight centuries and 16 half-centuries. (CMC)

  5. Published: 
    Saturday, June 24, 2017

    Last year, the Indian cricket team came here to play a Test match and had to sit by and look at the Queen’s Park Oval outfield and not play any cricket. A damp outfield kept them indoors. Fast forward to a year later and the rain came belting down to deny them another match at the mecca of local cricket.

    A total of 39.2 overs were possible and in that time the Indians raced to 199 for three before the heavens opened to put an end to the first match of the Seagrams five-match series. The teams will return to the Oval tomorrow hoping to play the second match weather permitting.

    The heavy rainfall that has been experienced in Trinidad over the last week continued and the heavy downpour at the Oval left the outfield unplayable. Earlier, the West Indies won the toss and decided to insert India, hoping to make early inroads into their batting with swing available early in the morning. The 9am start would have influenced skipper Jason Holder’s decision. However, soon after he must have regretted that decision as Indian openers Ajinkya Rahane and Shikhar Dhawan played unfussed.

    With the West Indies attack far from menacing, the duo piled on the runs much to the disappointment of the handful of spectators who showed for the match. Dhawan coming off an excellent Champions Trophy started off rapidly, while Rahane was comfortable with constructing an innings.

    Soon after adjusting to the conditions of the pitch, Rahane blossomed beautifully and played an array of wonderful strokes all around the ground. The two recorded the third Indian century opening stand in the Caribbean before being separated. Young fast bowler Alzari Joseph produced a slower delivery which was scooped into the air by the right hander Rahane with his score on 62. He faced 78 balls and struck eight fours.

    Yuvraj Singh followed and saw the demise of Dhawan after a wonderful knock of 87. He was trapped leg before to Devendra Bishoo playing across the line. He faced 92 balls, sending eight to the boundary and two over it. Holder then accounted for Singh (4) to retard the scoring rate.

    Skipper Virat Kohli and former captain MS Dhoni then came together and was setting up nicely for a late assault when the rain arrived. Kohli was not out on 32 of 47 balls, while Dhoni was on nine.

    SCOREBOARD

     

    West Indies vs India

     

    India innings

    A Rahane c Holder b Joseph 62

    S Dhawan lbw Bishoo 87

    V Kohli not out 32

    Y Singh c Lewis b Holder 4

    MS Dhoni not out 9

    Extras w 5

    Total for 3 wkts (39.2ovs) 199

    Fall of wkts: 132, 168, 185.

    Bowling: J Holder 8-0-34-1, A Joseph 8-0-53-1, A Nurse 4-1-22-0, M Cummins 8-0-46-0, D Bishoo 10-1-39-1, J Carter 1.2-0-5-0.

Walkerswood Seasoning

Subscribe

Subscription
  1. Name*
    Your name is required
  2. Email*
    Valid email address required
  3. Phone*
    Phone number required
Copyright © 2017 Caribbean American Passport. All Rights Reserved.